In Audrey Hepburn: An Elegant Spirit, Audrey’s son, Sean Ferrer, provides the recipes for two of his mother’s pasta dishes, with spaghetti al pomodoro being her favorite. Aside from her daily pasta intake, Audrey would treat herself to this particular recipe once a week. It’s difficult to find a pasta that doesn’t leave you wanting to nap immediately after, yet this one, requiring the sauce to simmer for 45 minutes, is a healthier alternative to the average pasta, and filled with plenty of vegetables that won’t weigh you down. You’ll find Audrey’s recipe below the pictures. Enjoy!!
Audrey Hepburn’s Spaghetti Al Pomodoro
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 carrots
- 2 stalks of celery
- 2 large tins of Italian pelati (prepeeled Roma tomatoes)
- 1 bunch of basil
- Olive oil
- 1 lb. spaghetti or angel hair pasta
- Parmesan reggiano cheese (I’d suggest about 8 oz.)
1. Chop onion, garlic, carrots, and celery and place in large pot. Add tomatoes and half a bunch of basil, washed, leaves whole. Add a long drizzle of olive oil and simmer on low for 45 minutes. Turn off and let rest for at least 15 minutes.
2. Serve over 1 box of pasta barely al dente (still a tiny bit of snap at the core) with lots of Parmesan (must be Reggiano) and the other half of the basil, well washed and cut with scissors in a cup or glass to prevent bruising or blackening.