I typically start my morning commute on the ferry with Fage’s Greek yogurt with cherry, and a Ziploc full of granola. Seeing as Greek yogurt has twice the protein of ordinary yogurt, I find it leaves me energized and feeling full longer than most on-the-go snacks currently on the market. For my weekend (and therefore fancier) version of the yogurt parfait, I turned to Alton Brown’s granola recipe. Coupled with dollops of yogurt and fresh fruit, it’s incredibly light, and may even revert the damage of 10 AM’s saccharine Starbucks latte. Recipe is below the pictures-enjoy!!
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup cashews
- 3/4 cup shredded sweet coconut
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup raisins
Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
1. In a large bowl, combine the oats, nuts, coconut, and brown sugar.
2. In a separate bowl, combine maple syrup, oil, and salt. Combine both mixtures and pour onto 2 sheet pans. Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to achieve an even color.
3. Remove from oven and transfer into a large bowl. Add raisins and mix until evenly distributed.
4. For parfait, add granola to bowl or dish, alternating with fruit and yogurt.